|Pale Ale #1 (Batch B)|
|Recipe||Pale Ale #1 (Batch B)||Style||American Pale Ale|
|Brewer||Clinton Ebadi||Batch||5.00 gal|
|Recipe Gravity||1.055 OG||Estimated FG||1.014 FG|
|Recipe Bitterness||59 IBU||Alcohol by Volume||5.4%|
|Recipe Color||11° SRM||Alcohol by Weight||4.2%|
|4.00 lb||Alexander's Sun Country Pale LME||extract|
|2.75 lb||Briess Sparkling Amber D.M.E.||extract|
|1.00 lb||Crystal 20L||steeped|
|0.50 oz||Cascade||pellet||0 minutes|
|1.00 oz||Cascade||pellet||10 minutes|
|1.00 oz||Nugget||pellet||60 minutes|
|1.00 unit||White Labs East Coast Ale yeast||liquid tube|
This is an attempt at improving the (still tasty) First Attempt. The cascade aroma I was looking for wasn't there, and so I added a half an ounce of cascade at the end of the boil.
I am not sure if the color for the dry malt is correct (sheet said 8-13?), or if the SG is right (the LME is correct, but the DME had no info on that so I used the 'usual' number from a book).
Brewing went well, but I forgot to take an OG reading. Fermentation started in under 12 hours.
Bottling Day (2005-06-01 [aka VERY LATE]):
The fermentation stuck for three weeks (low temperature spell caused the yeast to floc out). This, I think, is bad. The gravity was a bit high so I dropped down to 1/2 cup of priming sugar, and am going to hope that nothing explodes. It smells and tastes fine. Optimally I would have racked to another fermentor and pitched new yeast, but I have no car and I am leaving for NC in an hour...
Batch was botched. Drinkable, but they were bombs...Pale Ale 1-B is being remade.